Makes about 18
300g (2 cups) plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
25g butter, chopped
35g (1/3 cup) walnut pieces, finely chopped
1/3 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
100g finely grated pecorino
1¼ cups milk, approximately
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water
Lambrusco, optional, to serve
1. Sift flour, baking powder and Y2 teaspoon salt into a bowl, then rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add walnuts, basil and two-thirds of the pecorino and stir to combine, then add 1 cup milk and stir until a soft dough forms, adding extra milk if necessary.
3. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 12mm thick, then, using a 5cm pastry cutter, cut out rounds, re-rolling scraps once only, then place scones 2cm apart on a greased oven tray.
4. Brush tops of scones with egg yolk mixture, then sprinkle with remaining pecorino and bake at 225C for 10 minutes or until golden.
5. Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool, then serve warm or at room temperature with chilled Lambrusco, if using.