1 cup walnuts, toasted for 8 min at 160° C
2 large cloves garlic
400 g dried pasta (spirali or fettucine)
Juice and rind of 1 small lemon
1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp quality olive or walnut oil
Fresh herbs to garnish.
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Toast walnuts carefully as they can easily burn.
2. Grind walnuts and garlic in small blender, leaving some texture and chunkiness.
3. Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package instructions. Once pasta has boiled 5 minutes, whisk 3⁄4 cup of pasta water into walnut mixture, adding more till like thick cream.
4. Stir in half the cheese, 1 tbsp lemon juice and more ground pepper than you think you’ll need.
5. Transfer drained pasta into a large bowl and toss with walnut sauce and olive or walnut oil.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with lemon rind, fresh thyme or parsley and extra parmesan if you like.
Adapted from Heidi Swanson, 101 Cookbooks.