35 g cocoa powder
80 ml hot water
150 g dark chocolate, melted
(milk chocolate works too)
150 g unsalted butter, melted
225 g brown sugar
110 g walnut flour or meal or
4 eggs, separated.
1. Preheat oven to 150° C, grease a deep 20cm round cake pan and line base with baking paper.
2. Combine cocoa and hot water in a large bowl; stir till smooth. Add melted chocolate and butter, sugar and ground walnuts; stir till combined; stir in egg yolks in two batches into chocolate mixture.
3. Beat egg whites in a small bowl till soft peaks form; fold in two batches into chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake for 75 minutes and cool in the pan. Use a knife to release the cake from the sides of the pan before turning out.
5. Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve. This is also a great dessert cake served with cream or ice cream.
Adapted from Heidi Swanson, 101 Cookbooks.