This is tea cake, contributed by Elizabeth Parker of St James Walnuts.
2 oz butter
½ cup of sugar
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
2/3 cup of evaporated milk
1 small apple
2 oz walnuts
¼ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
1. Cream butter and sugar and add egg, flour, vanilla, and milk.
2. Spread half the mixture into the ring tin.
3. Peel and slice apple and layer onto this plus half the topping.
4. Put on the remaining cake mixture then topping.
5. Bake for 30 minutes in a moderate oven.
Note on measures
An exact conversion of 2 ounces would be 57 grams but, as any seasoned cook knows, amounts of ingredients are never that exact. Also, 1 teaspoon is 5 ml and 1 cup is about 250 ml.